Gadget Fiesta

If you would remember from months ago, I wrote about wanting to get a new phone. Previously, I was sporting the ol' palm treo 700wx. Besides the size, the treo was a great phone: good touchscreen, great customization (even had multiple home windows as seen on smartphones today), and great overall phone...for it's time of 2005. I have been waiting...and waiting for the right phone. Here it is:







THE DROID X! I bought this phone on release day right here to Kentucky, and it's a fun device.

SIZE:

Reading the physical specs made me worry this phone would be too big for me, but it's near perfect. I tend to like bigger things, hence, my possession of the ol' goliath palm treo. The droid x is long but very thin except for the hump at the top where the camera is positioned. Actually, the hump is welcomed by me because it makes holding the phone or grabbing the phone from my pocket rather trivial. It's the biggest smartphone with a 4.3 inch screen that is terrific because I can read articles, watch videos with more ease.

GPS/GOOGLE MAPS
The gps and google maps software is good and has helped me find my way around this town. I'll plug it into my car audio system and it performs better than my garbage garmin nuvi gps device. Not once has google maps navigation led me down any weird paths like the garmin has done many times in the past.

Battery Life:

Super! My phone could last almost 2 days if I use it conservatively or less than 1.5 days if I use it more heavily in the wireless, internet and app departments. Most other smartphones struggle in this area, especially the htc evo as I've read.

SCHOOL:

The droid x has been very helpful with school purposes. Checking email is a breeze. A few times, I've even completed some online quizzes while in a boring class! Also, I've read study guides, old tests and notes during class; no need to waste time printing and unnecessarily wasting tree resources. This morning I was at panera bread and their internet was being silly. So I whipped out out my phone and downloaded old tests and quizzes for a test I have tomorrow. Perhaps for 1.5 hours I was studying the documents from my phone. AWESOME.

APPS:

There are very many useful apps. Certainly, the android market size is nowhere in size to the apple apps market but there is debate in how many apps are useless and redundant. The essential apps for me so far are dropbox, meebo and ebuddy, facebook, google maps, yelp, file manager, adv. task killer, youtube, dictionary.com, pandora, shopsavvy, mixzing, camera 360, and colornote.

CLOSING:

I'm a bit excited for android 2.2 aka froyo to see how more efficient my droid x will run. However, I read that the adobe flash player needs improvement.

I've fallen for the game that is the smartphone. Generally, I'm for innovation and competition but for the most part I have been convinced to join the android team. Also, I use to have a wallpaper of the android eating apple:



1 comment:

Steven said...

Awesomeness... I want a new phone...

Post a Comment